Roast up to a kilo at a time, or use it as a sample roaster.
Whether you’re a professional looking for a versatile sample roaster with extra capacity, or an amateur looking to take your coffee to the next level, the Bullet is a uniquely attractive option.
With technology that is unrivaled at any price point, there isn’t another 1kg roaster on the market that can do what it does. The Bullet offers better data, more precise control, and unparalleled ease-of-use — yet it is still one of the most affordable 1kg roasters available anywhere.
More power. Fine control. Better data.
- Electromagnetic induction heating is highly responsive and easily able to bring a full kg of beans to first crack in under 12 minutes with none of the hassles and danger of gas.
- Patented Infrared bean temperature sensing provides unparalleled speed, accuracy, and consistency for the best roasting data available anywhere.
- 9 power levels, 12 fan speeds, 9 drum speeds and a preheat range from 160°C to 310°C allow for fine-control of the roasting process. This is freedom: you are only limited by your own imagination.
- Precision automatic preheating allows you to dial in your preferred drum temperature for each and every roast
- RoasTime roast profiling and management software logs every roast for your reference and study, and also grants you access to the Roast.World website, an ever-evolving community where you can share your roasting profiles, recipes, and experiences with other users.
Why use induction?
Whereas traditional electric roasters must rely on inefficient heating elements, the Bullet R1 uses induction to directly heat the drum.
We use induction because:
- Induction eliminates energy waste, transforming the Bullet R1 into one of the world’s greenest roasters.
- Induction drastically increases the responsiveness of the machine, lending it a feel more akin to gas roasters than traditional electric roasters, as any mid-roast adjustments to the power level are instantaneous.
- Induction allows us to pack an incredible amount of heat into the Bullet, reducing its footprint without sacrificing its power, so that you can roast 1kg batches of coffee just about anywhere, with none of the setup headaches associated with gas roasters.
The IBTS: What is it? Why does it matter?
The infrared bean temperature sensor (IBTS) is our patented solution to the biggest problem in data-driven coffee roasting: bad bean temperature data.
Professional roasters have long known that their bean probe is lying to them, vulnerable to a variety of variables that make it difficult to match profiles of different batch sizes across different machines.
The problem with these probes is that they are inconsistent and slow to react to bean temperature changes.
We sidestep the limitations of bean probes altogether by providing a new way to measure the temperature of the beans in the drum: infrared sensors.
This means no lag and remarkable consistency across batch sizes, so that you can repeat your results again and again.
Log your roasts.
Share them with others.
RoasTime for Better Coffee
You can use the RoasTime software to both monitor and control your roasts, making it far easier to consistently roast great coffee. Available for Mac, PC, and Linux systems, the software is 100% free.
Power, fan and drum speed changes, as well as bean temperature data are all automatically logged, providing you with a graphical representation of each and every roast.
This data, when paired with your own cupping notes, eliminates guesswork so that you can bring the best out of your beans.
With RoasTime, you can also “Playback” roasts to automatically duplicate a roast that you like. Or, you can create your own “Roast Recipes” that trigger automatic changes in Power, Fan, and Drum settings according to either time or bean temperature parameters during the course of a roast.
Roast Recipes: Leverage automation to enhance your creativity
We know that for some in the coffee world, automation is a sterile, boring word. But these people have got it all backwards.
Roasting manually, by feel alone, certainly does sometimes seem more creative. But more often than not, such improvisation is a lot of guessing based on nothing: a waste of time and resources, from which you are able to learn very little, even if you get lucky with a batch.
Instead, to truly deep-dive into the art of roasting better coffee, you need a plan based on good data, smartly paired with your own cupping senses. This is why Roast Recipes are your best friend. Not only can you use them to easily create a roasting plan ahead of each roast, you can then execute the plan flawlessly without fear of user error, and precisely repeat it as many times as you want, with guaranteed batch-to-batch consistency.
Your roast recipes can then be endlessly tweaked with purpose and precision as you gain experience and gather confidence. All the while, RoasTIme will be documenting each and every step, so that you are always free to look back and deconstruct what you’ve done. In this way, you can really think about what you want to do next.
Roast.World to Connect with Others.
RoasTime also connects you to our Roast.World online platform through the Aillio ID system. Here you can analyze your roasts on the web, store detailed cupping notes, download profiles and recipes from other users, and manage your bean inventories. You can also visit the online forum to discuss your Bullet R1 experience with kindred spirits.
The Roast.World project is still in its infancy, and the experience will continue to evolve over time as we implement new features.
Designed in Denmark.
Made in Taiwan.
Built to last.
Aillio’s mission from the very beginning was to produce the world’s best coffee roaster for homes and small cafes.
Though it wasn’t designed for heavy commercial use, much of the Bullet R1 has been ‘over-engineered’ to ensure a long product life cycle. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
We do not cut corners. Instead we select components that are built to last. We work closely with our manufacturers and suppliers and carry out QC checks to ensure consistency.
- Laser cut stainless steel 304 constructions.
- Precision CNC milled aluminum front plate and door.
- High-temp nylons that don’t go brittle over time.
- Electronic components from Japan, USA and Europe.
- All capacitors are best-in-class, rated at between 6000-10000 hrs.
Easy to Set Up
Easy to Use
The Bullet R1 offers such fine control over your roasts that users moving from more simple roasting setups may feel overwhelmed — unless you keep it simple in the beginning and follow our basic guidelines in the manual, in which case the Bullet R1 is perhaps the easiest hassle-free professional-level roaster for beginners to operate.
We’d like to show you what a typical roast on the Bullet looks like. Here’s the inventor, Jonas, following the example recipe from the manual:
Easy to Maintain.
Like all machines with moving parts, the Aillio Bullet R1 needs some personal attention from time to time. But it is quite easy to maintain. You really just need to focus on keeping it clean.
Check out the videos below for a rundown of basic maintenance tasks.
Specs and Safety
Heating: Induction heating
Input Voltage: 100V-127V & 220V-240V – 50Hz-60Hz
Power Requirement: 1550W
Maximum Recommended Ambient Temperature: 30°C
Drum: Multi-vane, 5.9L solid drum
Exhaust Fan: 78mm removable aluminum centrifugal fan for easy cleaning.
Bean Loading: Through funnel
Bean Ejection: Manual
Bean Cooling Tray: Detachable. Fan Cooling. Connected to underside of roaster.
Bean Roast Temp: Max 245°C
Chaff Collector: Detachable. Empty every 2-3kg of roasting.
Roast Capacity: Maximum 1000g, Minimum 100g (1kg to first crack in 8-10 minutes)
Size: L: 59cm W 31cm: H:42cm (L:75cm including bean cooler)
Size shipping box: L: 66cm W 38cm: H:51cm
Weight: 17.6 kg (Shipping weight 21 kg)
Warranty: 2 years
Country of Origin: Designed and engineered in Denmark. Made in Taiwan.
Protection: Electronics over temperature on both PCBs. Heater over temperature protection. Fan lock protection on all fans.
Fault logging: System status is monitored on all major components.